Monitoring and Evaluation Officer Intern and Finance officer Intern
Girls Activist Youth Organization (GAYO)
Monitoring and Evaluation (M&E) Intern at GAYO
Position Title: Monitoring & Evaluation Intern
Duty Station: Mchinji District
Reporting to: Program Manager
Girls Activist Youth Organization (GAYO) is a local non-profit making, non-partisan and non-governmental organization (NGO) registered under the Trustees Incorporation Act, which was established in 2007. GAYO primarily focuses on providing motivation and mentorship to students in and out of school through role modelling, career guidance, resource mobilization to support vulnerable learners with basic education needs and conducts back to school advocacy campaigns. GAYO also focus on child protection by using approaches, which include advocacy, psychosocial support as well as referrals through the national case management systems.
- Primary objectives of Monitoring and Evaluation (M&E) Intern Position
The M&E Intern will be responsible for monitoring and evaluation of results and impact of the projects and for providing a basis for evidence-based decision making on necessary amendments and improvements of the projects. She/he will be developing overall MEAL systems for all projects of GAYO.
Kay Duties and Responsibilities (Not All Inclusive)
- Setting up the project’s MEAL system, including developing the M&E framework, data collection tools both paper based and online) and database
- Setting up and monitoring the complaint and response mechanism (CRM) of the project
- Supervise the work of the field staff; provide guidance and technical support;
- Guide and coordinate the review of programme log frames
- providing technical advice for the revision of performance indicators
- Compiling consolidated aquarterly/nnual plans for the project.
- Preparing monthly and quarterly progress updates consistent with annual plan
- Adapting monitoring and reporting tools and frequency for the relevant levels.
- Conducting routine project data quality audit (DQAs)
- Support the Project Manager to review monthly budget monitors (BvAs), determine corrective actions and monitor implementation of the corrective actions.
- Coordinating quarterly review meetings.
- Undertaking capacity building activities of staff and stakeholders with a view to improve monitoring and documentation of the projects.
- Coordinating project baselines, project performance target setting and end line evaluations.
- Document program successes, lessons and best practices based on demonstrated evidence from monitoring, evaluation and research.
- Participating in development of new donor proposals (specifically designing M&E plans and indicator framework
- Undertake regular visits to the fields to support implementation of monitoring and evaluation, check the quality of data produced, and to identify where adaptations might be needed.
Knowledge, Skills and Experience
GAYO is looking for someone with the following Experience and skills:
- Demonstrable skills in both qualitative and quantitative data analysis and presentation
- Demonstrable skills in developing and managing electronic databases and surveys data processing packages like KOBO and COMMCARE
- Demonstrable skills in statistical analysis using STATA, EXCEL and SPSS
- Experience with developing data management tools and processes
- A university degree in M&E, social sciences, statistics or related technical field
- A minimum of 2 years of professional work experience at national and / or international levels in programme monitoring and evaluation with practical experience
- Strong analytical, quantitative and qualitative research skills
- With associated knowledge of rural community development issues
- Project management experience including the ability to deliver a range of different and competing tasks and activities
- People management experience including excellent interpersonal skills and the ability to use these to encourage and influence colleagues, beneficiaries and partners
- Resource Management experience including excellent working knowledge of finances
- Current IT skills and knowledge including use of Microsoft Office suite or similar (Word, Excel, etc.)
- Evidence of self-sufficiency, self-management and resilience in a challenging and unpredictable environment
- Fluency in written and spoken Chichewa/English
- BSc in Monitoring and Evaluation, Social Science, Economics, or University degree in Statistics
- A first-level university degree in combination with two additional years of qualifying experience may be accepted in lieu of the advanced university degree
- Finance officer Intern positions
PURPOSE OF POST: The Finance officer Intern will support GAYO in its effective discharge of duties through financial integrity in accordance with tits financial policy and procedure manual
KEY DUTIES AND RENSPONSIBILITIES
- Support FAM in the preparation of work plan and budget in liaison with programs achieve annual goals, objectives and work standards.
- Establishing and maintaining effective working Relationships with all levels of management, staff and outside auditors.
- Support FAM to oversee and manage all financial aspects of GAYO.
- Have knowledge to perform complicated mathematical calculations and analysis.
- Support FAM to develop, implement and monitor work plans to achieve goals and objectives
- Preparation of bank reconciliation
- Ensuring that financial policies and procedures or systems are being followed with assistant of financial management
- Support FAM on development of and monitor performance against the annual budget
- Developing and compiling the annual budget; assist in the review and preparation of budget estimates.
- Prepares the monthly, quarterly and annual treasurer’s report, comparing budget versus current actual revenues and expenditures.
- Support FAM in planning and evaluation of the performance of assigned volunteers
- Record investment transactions and prepare monthly investment portfolio.
- Cross Checking with payment
- Processing payment
- Any other duties assigned by management
- Over 1 year experience managing Project-related funding.
- Experience of operating strong internal controls.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills.
- Mastery of office software (Micro Soft Office and any Accounting Package such as quick book or sage line) required.
- Knowledge of appropriate Procurement laws in Malawi.
- Have clean record.
- Exercise sound independent judgment within general policy guidelines
- Production of comprehensive financial statements, reports and written materials including detailed cash flow projections
Requirements and skills
- Proven work experience as a Finance Officer or similar role
- Solid knowledge of financial and accounting procedures
- Experience using financial software
- Advanced MS Excel skills
- Knowledge of financial regulations
- Excellent analytical and numerical skills
- Sharp time management skills
- Strong ethics, with an ability to manage confidential data
- Diploma or BSc degree in Finance, Accounting or Economics
How to apply
If interested, please send your application to: The Human Resource and Administration Manager, Girls Activist Youth Organization, Box 208 Mchinji
The application should include a cover letter, curriculum vitae and copies of certificates as one pdf document with three traceable referees and should be received before August, 10 August 2023. Only shortlisted candidates will be communicated. Make sure you indicate in the subject line the position you are applying for.
Applications that are late and/or do not comply with the application guidance and which do not meet the essential criteria mentioned above will not be considered
GAYO IS AN EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER